Adult learners rarely have the time to practice for hours or attend weekly private lessons, but if you’re motivated, you can learn to play the piano quickly. Here’s how:
- Try a DVD piano lesson program. You’re more likely to stick to a program if you can do it on your schedule, in the privacy of your own home. DVD piano lesson programs also offer students the opportunity to replay the DVDs over and over again, as necessary to retain information. This can make a big difference in learning to play the piano quickly.
- Choose a program that offers a balanced approach. A solid foundation in music theory is important, but nobody wants to play scales all day long. Find a program that incorporates music theory with opportunities to play fun, catchy pieces, as well. You’ll also need lessons in improvisation and playing by ear, as well as accompaniment.
- Don’t get discouraged. A mistake many students make is to try to learn an entire song in one sitting. Break a composition down, and learn a few measures at a time. When you perfect one part, move on to the next. You’ll be motivated by your progress and feel less overwhelmed.
- For many piano students, learning to play melody is fairly simple, but learning to play harmony is more difficult. If you’re struggling to put the two together, try this little secret: learn the melody of a given composition first. Play it over and over until you have mastered it. Now play the harmony, again playing it repeatedly until you feel confident. Put the two together and you’ve got an entire song. Use this technique whenever a piece seems especially challenging. Using this method can accelerate learning.
- Practice, practice, practice. The more you play, the more quickly you learn. In time, you may even find yourself imagining the keys in your head as you think about a song. When you hear a piece of music on the radio or a DVD, you may also visualize the notes in your head. These are all beneficial forms of practice that help you play the piano quickly.
Check out our complete list of piano courses